The Diverse Sexualities Research and Education Institute (DSREI) is pleased to announce the 2022 Diverse Sexualities Book Award competition, nominations are being invited now.
The goal of the award is to recognize the best recent book that contributes to the understanding of Diverse Sexualities (sexual identities, sexual orientations, sexual behaviors, sexual interests, gender identities, gender orientations, gender expressions, relationship identities, relationship orientations, and relationship structures not accepted by the dominant culture).
The award will be announced July 24th, 2022.
1. Content of the book must be related to Diverse Sexualities
2. The book must be in English and must have been published in the years 2019, 2020, or 2021. It may have multiple authors or be an edited work. Previously submitted books are eligible.
3. Authors or publishers are required to send five copies of the book for review to the members of the Book Awards Selection Committee of the Diverse Sexualities Research and Education Institute.
4. For further details see the information below. For questions, please contact Peggy J. Kleinplatz, PhD, Chair of the DSREI Book Award committee at (613) 563-0846 not via email.
How to Nominate a Book
1. Nominations for the DSREI Book Award may come from any individual, organization, or publisher.
2. The deadline for submitting nominations is January 1, 2022.
3. Nominations should be sent to:
Diverse Sexualities Research and Education Institute
4304-18th Street, #14752
San Francisco, CA 94114
or send us an email.
The books should be sent directly to the members of the Awards Selection Committee.
1. THE AWARDS
Diverse Sexualities Research and Education Institute (DSREI) has established a book award to be given to the author(s) or editor(s) of the best books published in English related to the understanding Diverse Sexualities: At DSREI’s discretion two awards may be given, one for books addressed to the public and the other for books addressed to professionals (Educators, Researchers, or Clinicians).
Nominations for the DSREI Book Award should be made to the Chair who will then transmit the information to the appropriate committee members (see below).
The award winners (including multiple authors or each of the editors of an edited book where there is more than one editor) will each be given a plaque and their names will be listed on the DSREI website. There will be no monetary award.
The award will be given every two years.
3. THE SELECTION COMMITTEE
The awards will be made by the selection committee, chosen by the DSREI Education Advisory Committee. The members of the selection committee will be chosen by the DSREI Book Award chair in consultation with the DSREI Board of Directors. If a member of the DSREI Book Award committee has published a book that is being considered by the committee or has any potential conflict of interest, that person will absent him/herself from any deliberations concerning that book.
4. ELEGIBILITY CRITERIA
1. Content of the books must be related to the understanding of Diverse Sexualities.
2. Books must have been published in the calendar years 2019, 2020, or 2021.
3. Books must be in English, but may have been translated from another language.
4. Collections of previously published works would not be eligible.
5. Authors/editors are eligible regardless of having previously won another book award.
6. Books must be readily available from bookstores, public libraries, or university presses. Self-published books will not be eligible.
7. The decision of the selection committee as to whether a book is eligible shall be binding.
5. CONDITIONS OF THE PRIZES
1. Any eligible book which is nominated for a DSREI Book Award shall not qualify unless the publisher or author(s)/editor(s) agrees to provide up to five copies of the book to DSREI at no cost for each member of the selection committee.
2. The publisher must agree to include in any advertising for the book that it has been awarded the DSREI Book Award, for the given year.
6. SUBMISSION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES:
1. Books received after the final deadline of January 1, 2022, will not be eligible.
2. Receipt of submissions will be acknowledged in writing by DSREI.
3. Submitted books will not be returned and will remain the property of the reviewers.
1. Up to five books nominated (in each category, if both popular and professional book awards are conferred) will be noted as Honorable Mentions as well as the winner(s) of the DSREI Book Award. The Award will be announced July 24, 2022 on the DSREI.org website. Publicity directed towards the public and organizations of sexuality professionals, announcing the winners of the DSREI Book Awards will be the responsibility of DSREI.
2. The selection committee will consider the shortlists and the winners in private deliberations. Publishers, authors, and editors should be aware that they will receive no advance notice of the finalists or the winners.
DSREI Book Award Committee
Peggy J. Kleinplatz, Ph.D., Chair (613) 563-0846
Maura Devereux, PA-C
David Hersh, Ph.D.
Reece Malone, MPH, DHS
Anna Randall, MSW, MPH, DHS